We work to build justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion by uncovering and dismantling oppressive systems in ourselves, in our company, and in our community.
2021: “Meet You Where You Are” initiative of small group conversations with trained internal facilitators to build our capacity to have difficult conversations as an organization and to provide accessible on-ramps to anti-oppression work.
2021: Working with The Equity Project (TEP) to complete an organizational assessment and develop an equity lens and blueprint. This work will provide us with a baseline understanding of where we are as an organization as well as a strategic plan with actionable next steps.
2020: Co-owners vote to update Namasté Solar’s core values with an equity lens, including new core values of “Equity” and “Come As You Are.”
2020: A group of individuals formed the new Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Task Force at Namasté Solar to help build this work into the cooperative in a sustainable way.
2020: Small group book discussions on So You Want To Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
2019: Small group book discussions on White Fragility by Robin Diangelo
2019: A series of Unconscious Bias Seminars increased our understanding of unconscious bias and encouraged conversation. Seminar discussions were sparked by shared content, including:
- How to let go of being a “good” person – and become a better person (TED Talk, 12 mins)
- The Universe Inside Our Minds (4 min video)
- Can You Change Implicit Bias? (3.5 min video)
- Introduction & First Impressions (16 min video)
- Color Blind or Color Brave? (TED Talk, 14 min video)
- How to overcome our biases? Walk bold through them, (TED Talk, 18 mins)
- Coming Out Of Your Closet, (TEDxBoulder, 11 min)
- Inclusion, Exclusion, Illusion and Collusion, (TED Talk, 13 min)
2018-2019: Full-day workshops are offered multiple times a year for employees to learn about identity, privilege, and power dynamics.
2018: Small group book discussions on That’s What She Said by Joanne Lipman